Today's casino gaming industry is comprised of numerous types of entities, including commercial and Native American casino operators, gaming equipment manufacturers, peripheral suppliers, regulatory, and standard-setting organizations.
For the past two decades, participants in each of these industry segments, both in the U.S. and internationally, have relied upon Howard & Howard's team of experienced gaming and casino attorneys to assist them in the varied legal matters involved in the industry.
Our firm has the most diverse and greatest combined gaming industry legal experience available, including experience within the industry as in-house counsel. In addition to providing counsel on typical business issues, our team offers our gaming industry clients distinctive benefits over other law firms in a number of key areas.
Online and Land-Based Casinos
- Gaming Regulations and Operations
- Business Strategy Consulting
- Business Market Entry Strategy
- Market Analysis
- Technical Assessments and Advisory
- Strategic Partnership Analysis
- Vendor Selection and Implementation
The gaming industry is one of the most prolific in terms of both protecting valuable intellectual property rights, and in disputes resulting from the enforcement of those rights. Our casino and gaming attorneys are well-versed and experienced in obtaining, protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights pertaining to gaming. We regularly assist our gaming industry clients with intellectual property matters such as:
- Acquisition, sale or licensing of technology
- Confidentiality issues
- Copyrights: domestic and international
- Joint-venture/co-development agreements
- Distribution agreements
- E-commerce/high technology
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Patent prosecution: domestic and international
- Trade secret law
- Trademarks: domestic and international
The development and day-to-day operation of casinos throughout the nation give rise to a number of disputes which unfortunately may lead to litigation. Our gaming lawyers are well-equipped to assist their clients in both state and federal courts.
Corporate - Financing Development and Operations
The availability of capital is instrumental in the development, operation and growth of gaming companies. H&H represents gaming entities and financial institutions in obtaining secured and unsecured loans and in public offerings and private placement of debt securities. Additionally, we represent gaming entities and institutional investors in public and private equity offerings.
The construction of a casino involves a wide array of efforts, many legal in nature. H&H provides legal representation and advice regarding all aspects of casino development, including transactional, real estate, zoning, construction and federal and state environmental permitting affairs.
Many gaming companies rely upon our casino and gaming attorneys for legal advice regarding their initial structuring, subsequent corporate governance and planning. The experience of H&H corporate practice provides our gaming clients with the flexibility needed to achieve their goals.
All recognized gaming jurisdictions have specific legal and regulatory requirements as a precondition for a business to enter that particular gaming market. The Gaming Industry Expertise Section of Howard & Howard:
- Engages regulatory agencies to facilitate a seamless administrative process for obtaining licensing approvals
- Assists clients in obtaining gaming device, system and associated equipment approvals
- Represents clients in disciplinary proceedings
- Represents and counsels clients in their ongoing efforts to maintain compliance with gaming regulatory requirements
- Provides guidance to both gaming and non-gaming entities through the complex gaming application and investigative process
The gaming lawyers at Howard & Howard have counseled and consulted with clients in most every gaming jurisdiction around the world:
Regardless of the location or size of your company, or the complexity of the issues it faces, our highly skilled casino and gaming attorneys deliver high-quality, on-time work at a lower price than most law firms providing comparable services to the gaming industry.
We're proud of the broad range of work we've done and successes we've achieved for our clients:
- Filed, prosecuted and successfully obtained hundreds of gaming related trademark registrations and patents, both internationally and throughout the United States.
- Represented the Gaming Standards Association (the standards-setting organization in the industry) for the past decade.
- Assisted entities from virtually every segment of the gaming industry, from operators, to manufacturers, to peripheral suppliers, on both transactional and litigation aspects of domestic and international matters including IP, regulatory issues, contracts, financing, antitrust compliance, and labor issues.
Howard & Howard's casino and gaming lawyers approach every project with the following goals in mind:
- Facilitate client objectives.
- Find creative solutions.
- Produce timely, top-quality work.
- Help clients achieve their next level of success with maximum profitability.